09 May 2005

Ho hum

I haven't done much painting since the last thing up on here, just a small thing over the weekend. I'm gearing up to do a whole string of canvases in a row. I want to try grouping them together in various forms to see what they look like. At the moment I'm drawing glyphs on small pieces of paper. When I have a sufficient number I will add some blank pieces of paper and then deal them out in a three by three grid and use that as a basis for a composition. I can't just use it straight though, for several reasons. The most important one is that the glyphs need to have some conceptual relationship to each other. The random lay out will (I sincerely hope) provoke connections that can be worked up to a finished composition.

There were a couple of things that lead me to this. I've been thinking about tarot cards ever since a session at Sandra and Stephen's listening to a krautrock concept album based on the tarot and playing round with a deck designed by the same guy. I knew there was something there that could be useful but couldn't put my finger on it. The other thing was something someone said when I was talking about the grouped canvas thing. They reckoned they functioned like Killeen's cut-outs, which just hit me like being slapped round the head with a wet fish. I can be pretty dense and hadn't seen the link.

Of course some people might sneer that I'm just 'copying' Killeen, but it's too late in the evening to go into the seriously large amount of things wrong with that idea.

In other news, I've started the process of moving in with Rose. I need to do a mission to rescue my art books one evening later this week (the rest have been stashed at Rose's in the interim anyway) and then a friend with a van has nicely agreed to move my larger items over the weekend.

No comments:

visitors since 29 March 2004.