02 September 2007

Practical matters

I had a very good day yesterday: out for breakfast, up the Coast for a friend's kids' third birthday party (barbie and bubbly), out for dinner, off to the flicks, and finally to Happy for a Stumps gig. It was all good.

I had a couple of conversations, one at the barbie and one at Happy, about artistic practice. I am convinced that the most important thing is that you do what you want to see, not what you think other people want to see.

This year has been a dead loss for painting. If I were to only count finished paintings, I'd've done bugger all all year. However, I don't only count finished paintings. I see the graphic novel I'm working on, the book I did for the twins, the lecture at the Film Archive, this blog, and various other activities (even aspects of my day job) as all part of a whole. That whole is my practice.

I'm only just starting out. But I hope that, when I'm done, that whole will have a well-defined shape – and that other people will get something out of it as well.

There's only one way to find out...

No comments:

visitors since 29 March 2004.