13 April 2006

Quote of the day

As to the opium, I have no objection to see a picture of that, though I would rather see the original: you may paint it, if you choose; but I apprize you, that no 'little' receptacle would, even in 1816, answer my purpose ... No: you may as well paint the real receptacle, which was not of gold, but of glass, and as much like a wine-decanter as possible. Into this you may put a quart [1.136 litres] of ruby-coloured laudanum: that, and a book of German metaphysics placed by its side, will sufficiently attest my being in the neighbourhood... (Emphasis in original.)

- Thomas de Quincey, Confessions of an opium-eater

2 comments:

paintergirl said...

Hey did you start reading this before me? "a book of german metaphysics" gets me laughing.

Melvin is getting me, The Brief History of the Dead. I can't wait.

David Cauchi said...

Nope, it was quoted to me and I just had to share.

Brief history of dead sounds promising.

visitors since 29 March 2004.