11 April 2006

This and that

Yeah, yeah, so I've been a bit slack.

Victor's show is a purler. Luckily the opening and aftermath were a lot more restrained than Couper's, so I wasn't sick as a dog the next day. That came later in the week.

Rose and I went to Kenneth Anger's Magick Lantern cycle at the Film Archive on Friday and Saturday nights, but unfortunately I don't remember much of the second night (which were all the classic ones, damnit) cos I'd got a little too out of it beforehand.

We went to see Godard's The outsiders at the Film Society last night. It was fairly silly, but extrremely good fun. My favourite bits were the opening credits, the fact that Arthur Rimbaud's pretend death scene is nowhere near as hammed up as his real death scene, and of course the classics: the dance (where the music stops while Godard tells us what the characters are thinking - Odile wonders whether the boys notice the way her breasts move, and Franz thinks about 'everything and nothing' - but we can still hear the stamping of their feet and the clicking of their fingers), the alleged minute's silence (which is apparently 35 seconds and during which all the incidental sound disappears), and their race through the Louvre (where they beat the previous record by two seconds).

I am, once again, completely broke. I've been wondering why this doesn't concern me, and I think it's cos I've hit the right balance. I value time much more than money. It helps not owning a house or a car, so I don't need to worry about interest rates or petrol prices, or any of that crap. Cos I do earn enough for my needs, however, I don't need to worry about exhibiting or selling art work. This means I need only please myself and not dealers or punters. Freedom is a wonderful thing.

2 comments:

Mr Stephen Rowe said...

Right, I'll be puting up yer rent and there's some bills that have just come in...a ha ha...ha ha ha...cackle.

I'M worried about petrol and interest rates and I'm gunna make yo ass worry too mofo!

Lilly said...

David, congratz on having found the right balance, which equals freedom. I think you're really lucky to not be concerned about money and the usual crap that takes precedence in a lot of people's lives....

Wow. God for you :-)

visitors since 29 March 2004.