10 March 2010

The anti-system

I am not very smart, and it has taken me until now to realise the deep stupidity of referring to common-sense nihilism as a philosophical system.

A system is based on a set of assumptions, unquestioned premises. Another term for these is beliefs.

Nihilism, by definition, doesn't have beliefs. A nihilistic philosophical system is an oxymoron.

One time, someone thought they were being very clever by asserting that I do have beliefs, because believing in nothing is itself a belief. This is, of course, a silly semantic argument: 'I believe in X' is a statement of belief; therefore, 'I believe in nothing' is a statement of belief.

However, if we rephrase 'I believe in nothing' to the equivalent 'I don't believe in anything', the argument disappears.

No comments:

visitors since 29 March 2004.