18 September 2009

Reflecting on the toilet

It was the last day of the install yesterday. For some reason, I am exhausted. I don't really have any justification for it, especially compared with Jeena! She has put in a massive effort. As an example of how tired I am, we went out for a celebratory drink last night, and I was the first to leave! I even turned down a beer!!! Maybe my brain's been taken over by an alien parasite.

I'm really happy with my work, and I think the show as a whole is looking pretty good. I've really enjoyed the whole experience. I was a little apprehensive about it, what with doing something for the first time in public and all. I was a little unsure what I'd do if it had turned into a disaster. However, it all went very smoothly.

I started out pencilling in things first, just in case, but soon abandoned that and attacked the walls directly with my pen. The green toilet is mostly text, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make any spelling mistakes or skip any words. There is only one small smudge. There are a couple of places where I'd've liked to've shifted the placement slightly, but I'm not worried about that. They're minor.

Yesterday was funny. Faced with having to finish it, I got all nervous again and started second guessing myself. But in the end, after a bit of discussion, I just stopped, and a good move that was. I would've been the second to finish, but when we were having pizza and beer in the gallery in the evening someone made a comment that turned into the perfect finishing touch, so I was last.

Easily the best thing about the whole experience has been how social it's been. Someone called it art camp. We've all got on very well. No prima donnas and no standoffishness. If any of you are reading this, remember we've got a spare room if you need somewhere in Wellington to stay.

No comments:

visitors since 29 March 2004.