22 August 2005

Some words

It's just been lots of sound and fury lately, signifying of course nothing. At least I've got my tax nightmare sorted out (sort of).

I wanted to get some work done over the weekend, but it didn't really happen. Maybe the problem is there's things sitting in my head waiting to be transferred to paper, and I get a bit fixated.

Came across an interesting sounding evolutionary theory of psychosis in, of all places, this book review - basically the theory is that a key point in the evolution of homo sapiens from early hominids was a genetic mutation that caused a twist, or torque, in the two hemispheres of our brains, and this twist allowed not only language but also psychosis and schizophrenia.

One of the great things about art is that it's about the only field I can think of where glossing over a simplified account of something quite complicated and then engaging in wild speculation can have quite fruitful results. Not necessarily immediately, but you never know when one odd thing here will link up with one odd thing over there and you're away laughing.

No comments:

visitors since 29 March 2004.